AgilityCMS provides several options when it comes to managing content for multiple websites. Normally, this means you have multiple instances each with its own database and users. However, its worth exploring using multiple Digital Channels as well. Each have their pros and cons and its important to understand the different so you can choose the right solution for the right problem.
Multiple instances means that you have one or many Instances.
- Separation of concerns
- Each website can have vastly different or similar structure
- Maintain distinct lists of user access (i.e. User A should have have access to Instance B)
- Each instance has it's own web application
- Limited or no dependencies on content from another instance - content can be retrieved from other instances by the web application via the REST API only
- Ability to "link" to other Instances to allow for copying of module and content definitions, pages, and shared content
- Dedicated database per instance
- Dedicated media and documents per instance
Multi-channel refers to having multiple Digital Channels within a single instance.
- Can map each Digital Channel to a domain/subdomain
- Each have their own page tree
- Can have one web app per Digital Channel or a multi-tenant web application that powers all channels
- All users that have access to the instance can access all content across channels - however permissions can be set to limit users to "read only" on channels that are not relevant to the user
- Agility.Web.dll automatically associates a request to a registered channel and sets the Digital Channel context appropriately
- All content is in a single database
Multi-Channel - One Web Application
Multi-Channel - Multiple Web Applications