Pages in Agility are the main representation of the website structure. You can see the existing structure of our Sample Site by clicking on the “Pages” link at the top of Agility.
In general, there are 4 simple types:
1. Page – this is an actual web page with a template and therefore module zones. There are a few basic properties
- Page Type – this can be either Static or Dynamic Page. A static page is what we consider a ‘normal’ page; it has a fixed name and contains a number of modules with relatively simple content. A dynamic page implements URL routing and is linked to a Dynamic Page List. This will be discussed in more detail later on.
- Menu Text – this is the ‘link’ text that will be used when the page appears on a navigation control or sitemap
- Page Title – this is the text that appears in “title” element of the raw HTML, and is therefore used as the main title in the browser
- Page Name – this is the name of the page within the context of the website: for example, a page with the name “home” would be accessed via the url “~/home”
- Page Template – this is the actual web page that is used as basis for building up the page content. It contains modules zones that can have modules added to them. We’ll get to the details on this later
2. Dynamic Page – this allows you to use a Dynamic Page List as the pages for this folder of the sitemap.
- The same choices are available as a Page, with the addition of a list to build pages from.
- You can only create this page under another page on the sitemap, not in the root.
- Sitemap Label: the label to identify this page in the sitemap.
- Page Path Formula: create the URL slug for this page from a combination of fields on the list items.
- Page Title Formula: create the Title for this page from a combination of fields on the list items.
- Menu Text Formula: create the Menu Text for this page from a combination of fields on the list items.
3. Folder – this is a virtual folder to group pages. It cannot be accessed as a resource in its own right. This also has a couple of basic properties:
- Menu Text – the same as in a page, this is the text that appears as the directory on links in a navigation control or on a sitemap
- Folder Name – similar to the page name above, this is the name that represents the directory in the context of a website: so a folder named “news” means that all pages below it would start with “~/news/”
4. Link – this can be used to place a link in the map to another page, a document, or to a completely different website
- Menu Text – the same as in pages and folders, this is the text that appears as the directory on links in a navigation control or on a sitemap
- Link Name – this will form the URL of the link in site map, relative to its position in the page tree
- Link – this is the target resource to which the link will redirect. Agility allows you to pick another page within the page tree, a document within the document tree or a completely custom URL
- Target – the target window to open the link into